Airlink is a nonprofit organization connecting humanitarian relief organizations with donated or discounted air transportation. Created by leaders of the aviation industry, Airlink is a unique group that uses the power of aviation as a force for good. airlinkflight.org
We are looking for an experienced Director of Development to support Airlink’s mission – mobilizing the aviation community to ensure emergency supplies and relief workers reach those impacted by natural disasters and other humanitarian crises around the globe. The Director of Development creates and executes a strategic approach to fundraising, which includes volunteer engagement and major gifts, annual giving, grant writing, and in-kind resource development from corporate, foundation, government and individual stakeholders.
This is a hands-on position that requires tenacity! We’re looking for an experienced self-starter that can manage existing donor relationships, develop impactful programs attractive to institutional grant mechanisms and develop programs attractive to potential disaster response donors.
In this position, you will design and implement all development activities, and work as a key member of an energetic team based in the heart of Washington, DC.
• Lead the organization’s development-related activities and opportunities.
• Create a development plan that encompasses corporate giving, institutional grant making, and individual donor cultivation in order to increase revenue.
• Leverage and coordinate activities of the Airlink executive volunteer base to ensure efficient and effective account management, donor stewardship and prospecting.
• Develop a Foundation funding stream by preparing and submitting grant applications to generate funds for the organization and its operations.
• Engage in global disaster response preparedness forums and groups to position the organization as an expert in humanitarian relief and identify funding opportunities.
• Implement a development plan in accordance with ethical fundraising principles.
• Ensure policies and procedures are enforced, oversee revenue reconciliation and track fundraising-related performance metrics to support executive management reporting requirements.
Airlink is a small but impactful organization. To be successful, a candidate should possess the following key characteristics:
• Energy and Passion: Demonstrate an insatiable tenacity for reaching their goals to not only sustain, but build the organization and its impact in responding to disasters.
• Creativity and Innovation: Develop unique ways to grow the organization’s financial resources and improve its methods and systems.
• Effective Communication: Listen, speak and write to a wide variety of stakeholder types using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques. Respond to inquiries and provide feedback in a timely manner.
• Relationship Building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
• Fostering Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Organizational Skills: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
Ethical Behavior: Understand and uphold ethical business practices and conduct oneself in a manner consistent with the organization’s values.
Requirements and Qualifications:
● Bachelor’s Degree with 8 years + experience.
● Must be a strong writer and oral presenter.
● Creative individual with high-energy. Team player.
● Prior experience in disaster or humanitarian relief fundraising a preferred.
● Prior experience in grant solicitation from foundations and other grant-making entities including USAID OFDA / ECHO / DFID as well as others a strong plus.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment and manage multiple deadlines and tasks, including managing executive volunteer stakeholders.
● Potential of up to 25% percent travel, including international.
• Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.